*This Episode originally aired 9/4/2017
Howdy gang! Welcome back to Episode 8 of the Ketodontist Podcast. Today Dr. Matt is flying solo and giving you an informative episode of keto and low carb diets and their effects on our teeth and dental health.
- Why sugar is uniquely toxic to teeth
- Why the pH balance of the mouth is imperative to our oral health
- How vitamin deficiencies can effect the mouth
- How poor diet can lead to poor oral health and vice versa
- How gum disease and diabetes is a two way street
- How there is correlation (and possibly even causation) between gum disease and heart disease
- AND MORE!
Do you chompers a favor and check out this episode! And if you enjoyed today’s episode, please subscribe and review our show.
Studies and resources cited:
The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes: http://a.co/aLaJAnx
The Alzheimer’s Antidote: http://a.co/fNAId3U
Balance by V. Kim Kutsch, DMD and Robert J. Bowers: balancebook.com
Feb 2016 Study Vitamin D and Dental Caries in Children. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26553883?_ga=2.250923462.1544376150.1504546103-473158135.1504546103
Metabolic Endotoxemia Initiates Obesity and Insulin Resistance; http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/56/7/1761
High-risk periodontal pathogens contribute to the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis; http://pmj.bmj.com/content/93/1098/215
Dr. Doneen’s assessment of the PMJ study: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/landmark-bale-doneen-study-first-to-reveal-that-oral-bacteria-can-cause-heart-disease-300435079.html